The Rough - Rough Cut EP
Review

Review! The Rough – “Clean Cut EP”

Back in the 1980’s, the HJ Heinz Company ran a popular marketing campaign that centered on the slogan, “the best things come to those who wait”.  Any person who has lived long enough knows that  this isn’t always the case.  Sometimes we wait for lengthy periods with high hopes only to be underwhelmed and sometimes outright disappointed.  Despite this, the underpinnings of the quote are rooted in the positive side of the spectrum of ideas, if for no other reason, simply to reinforce the notion that patience is a virtue.  Moreover, when it comes to outcomes, it’s always nicer when the result of a waiting period yields something that exceeds expectations.   To follow this thought, I’m happy to report that the new EP titled Clean Cut from San Diego locals The Rough rests firmly on exceeds-expectations-ground.

As the opening song titled I Am The Thunder suggests, the music comes out firing on all cylinders with an open progression that, in many ways, leads the listener to expect Tony Sly’s (RIP) vocals to start in.  Instead however, we are caught off-guard by the welcome sound of Drew Smith’s voice cutting sharply though the track as the guitars intermittently cut in & out and Darren Sader’s snare and tom filled groove adds to the overall “thunder” vibe.  The lead vocals are reinforced with some group shouting to add emphasis to an onslaught of very catchy vocal patterns in the verses.  Insert an equally catchy sing along chorus, and the hook for the entire EP has been set from the very beginning. 

At first listen, when the subsequent songs come on, you might find yourself still dwelling on how damn catchy the opener was…to the extent that you’ll likely miss out on some of the finer details of the middle tracks.  Don’t fret though!  It’s a recording and you have the luxury of repeat listens.  In doing so, I think you will find in just 5 short songs, the band offers a fair amount of diversity and a heartfelt vibe that extends throughout.  There are derivative elements in several tracks that will conjure comparisons to bands like Fallout Boy, No Use For a Name, and Green Day.  Despite this, The Rough manages the important task of maintaining its own unique character, and it’s a character that can best be described as free from pretense.  Call it “that thing”….call it the “X-factor”….call it whatever you want, but this EP fills the listening space with an inexplicable sincerity that is evident in every track and perhaps even magnified on the final song.

In contrast to the opening track, and sticking with a format similar to the band’s first release, Clean Cut closes with an acoustic song titled “Go”.  It’s a stand-out tune that puts the songwriting prowess behind The Rough on full display.   With no attempt to cram distorted guitars and pounding drums down your throat, the instrumentation retreats and Drew delivers arguably his most mature lyric and melody offering to date.  The song inspires unity, kindness…even hope.  We could all use more of that in our lives, and as this EP (out now) continues to circulate, I fully expect that any live performance of this song will be accompanied by more than handful of fans singing along.  Count me in…   

Said plainly, after a year and a half since the band’s first release, The Rough have returned with a 5 song EP that stands head & shoulders above their prior effort.  The arrangements have matured, the lyrical content stretches for heartfelt depth, and the audio production has more than transcended “demo” quality.  Since the time of recording the EP, which was primarily a two-man effort between singer/guitarist Drew Smith and drummer Darren Sader, the band has been completed with additional guitarist Vaughn Esparza and bassist Max Bergstrom, both of whom also play in Avenue Army.  As a foursome, the band’s live sound has elevated in lockstep with their latest recording.  With all the progress The Rough has made, I can’t help but encourage readers to check ‘em out!

4.75 out of 5 SDP skullz

Artist: The Rough
Album: Clean Cut EP
Label: No Pants Records
Release Date: January, 10th, 2020

Reviewed by Todd Dulawan

Previous Post

You Might Also Like